Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems

Share your tips to make the roads safer for motorcycle riders.
harvey
MTA_Member_No: 06169

Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems

Postby harvey » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:28 am

I realize that not all motorcycles come with a Tire Pressure Monitoring System so this info is not really super sensitive for this group, but I am sure that some have added the doran system and other systems that mount inside the tire. This is NOT about those systems that mount to the outside of the valve stem.

Fred H., the writer of this thread on a Gold Wing Forum, is a guru on Gold Wings. He is a mechanical engineer by profession and applies his knowledge to help the rest of us who ride Gold Wings to do a better job of maintaining them. He spends considerable time actually working on bikes so he does not just talk the talk he gets greasy dirty doing the work.

He found a major problem with the tire product RideOn damaging the TPMS parts in the tire of a Kawasaki Concours. I hope this link works: http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthre ... n-and-TPMS

I know several folks here use this RideON product and I am not trying to discourage you, I only want you to be aware of a potential problem that is starting to show up.
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

garykcmo
MTA_Member_No: 348

Re: Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems

Postby garykcmo » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:36 am

More information from RideOn TPS systems:
http://www.ride-on.com/tpms

harvey

Postby harvey » Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:45 pm

Gary,

Obviously the TPMS on Kawasaki's Concours also has a problem and is not sealed with epoxy as RideON prefers. I am not sure I would want them sealed with epoxy anyway as it would make it very difficult to change the battery in the system. You would have to cut through the epoxy. that would make service very difficult if you keep a bike for 10 years or so as I have done with my Wing.

Knowing Honda, I wonder if they use the same sensors in their cars as found on the Gold Wings?
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

garykcmo

Postby garykcmo » Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:29 pm

I agree with you, using epoxy does not sound like a good solution. Here is the aftermarket unit I use on the LT.
http://wingstuff.com/products/33223-tp-checker-motorcycle-tire-pressure-monitor

harvey

Postby harvey » Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:52 am

Gary, that certainly seems like a good unit. I was a little surprised that it was being sold by Wingstuff a primary Gold Wing aftermarker supplier. And then I read the review where it does not work on the GL1800 front wheel or the back wheel of the GL!500 or on the Royal Star Venture.

I am glad it works on the BMW.

I really don't want this type system as I prefer checking the tires myself with a guage and that way I can look at the tire also. Sort of preventative maintenance. But as I look to the future and consider new bikes whether the GL1800, FJR1300, TRiumph Trophy SE, Guzzi Norge, R1200RT or whatever it seems that the new stuff all comes with a factory TPMS system. So I have started paying attention to feedback on these units.
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

garykcmo

Postby garykcmo » Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:10 pm

This unit has worked really well for me on the LT, but I understand anything with a battery can be a problem inside a sealed tire. I still check and inspect my tires each time I ride, but it does give me an early warning while riding which gives me peace of mind rolling two-up loaded. I do find the internal tire temperatures very interesting. I ride enough and change tires often which gives me a chance to inspect the inside and will probably be even more attentive now that I've read about this problem.

Return to “Motorcycle Safety”