Issues accessing the website?

JerryM
MTA_Member_No:

Issues accessing the website?

Postby JerryM » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:31 pm

I have heard of several people who are having some issues accessing the website. Something to do with a security alert. I would appreciate starting a conversation here so everyone can be informed if there is a system problem.

If you are experiencing issues with the website please respond here and let me know the following items:
- Operating system - Windows, Apple, desktop, laptop, mobile
- Browser - Internet Explorer, Chrome, Firefox, Safari, other
- Security application you are using

I am using 4 different computers at home and have not had any problems. I need more information to determine where to begin to look for any problems.

Thanks in advance!
I ride because it frees my mind from the tyranny of petty things.

harvey
MTA_Member_No: 06169

Re: Issues accessing the website?

Postby harvey » Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:23 pm

I just sent you an email saying I could not get to the site using the favorites on Internet Explorer. AS I was doing that I got the idea( duh) to try the link you posted and I was directed to this area of the website. Does this indicate cookies, or what kind of problem?

That email was sent at about 1515 and it is now 1522hrs 1/15/16.
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

harvey

Postby harvey » Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:55 pm

Jerry, after playing with this for a few moments and trys this is what I have learned: If I take the link you provided in the email and just shorten it to index.php that will take me to the forum and from there it seems I can pretty much go anywhere on the forum. I did not try them all.

But I did go to the home page and got the same error/virus message I get at: http://www.mtariders.com/

I admit this is perplexing. Again I am on Internet Explorer and it is an older version.

harvey
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

garykcmo
MTA_Member_No: 348

Postby garykcmo » Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:05 am

I am having no problems using Windows and Google Chrome. I use both Avast and McAfee virus programs.

harvey

Postby harvey » Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:28 pm

Jerry,

As I noted above, I have developed a work around to get to the forum. But if I go to the Home Page, I still get the security message! HELP

harvey
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

garykcmo
MTA_Member_No: 348

Postby garykcmo » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:04 pm

Using Google Chrome I have no problems, but using IE, I too get a security error indicating there is a Trojan attached to the URL. See attached.
Attachments
Untitled-1.jpg
Untitled-1.jpg (211.43 KiB) Viewed 2297 times

JerryM
MTA_Member_No:

Postby JerryM » Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:02 am

I installed McAfee SiteAdvisor on one of my computers and the MTA website is reported as "green" or safe to browse.

If you are not familiar with it, SiteAdvisor is a free browser extension made by McAfee that tests each website that you visit and notifies you if it is a threat (red, yellow, or green). It also has a 'safe search' feature which I did not install since it changes your search engine to Yahoo.

If you are seeing virus reports or pop-ups when you visit www.mtariders.com please install this app and see if you continue to get warnings. You can find it at http://www.siteadvisor.com.

Also, if you are running Internet Explorer I would ask that you try another browser like Firefox or Chrome. Whenever I run into any kind of login or display issue the first thing I do is try it again in a different browser just to see if it makes a difference. But you also must know that Internet Explorer has had so many security and user issues over the years that Microsoft finally replaced it when it came out with Windows 10. Their new browser is called "Edge". (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Edge)

Finally, whatever antivirus program you are using please ensure it is updated with the most current virus database.

If you continue to see warnings please let me know so I can investigate further.
I ride because it frees my mind from the tyranny of petty things.

harvey

Postby harvey » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:45 am

Jerry, I still get the message if I try to go to the homepage. I use Kaspersky security. I am doing this post from a tablet so not real sure what browser it has. I got an email from Dan Moore yesterday with the same problem still evident
We are getting very close to time for the Gathering and folks need to be able to access the info as soon as it can be posted.
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

Return to “Comments, Suggestions, and Bug Reports”