Example Financial Report

The daily journal of all things, riding and otherwise, that are going on with our rider's lives.
JerryM
MTA_Member_No:

Example Financial Report

Postby JerryM » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:26 am

All,

There has been some discussion in "The Gathering" forum about the bookkeepers role and responsibilities and financial reporting. I'm afraid there is some good discussion there that is being obscured and potentially lost since the original post title is "Will it happen 2017 in Klamath Falls". I would encourage people to start a new thread to help people find and respond.

I suggested in some emails to a few people last year a simpler way to report finances. The current system is complex and expensive using Quickbooks. QB requires an annual subscription and someone who is very familiar with it to use it. My sense is that the finances of the MTA now are really quite minimal and could be posted in a simple spreadsheet.

I have been the president, VP, and treasurer of our motorcycle club here in Houston over the last 5 years. I created a simple, one-page spreadsheet to summarize our finances. In working for various social orgs over the years I have always thought that for any social, non-profit org the finances should be as open and public as possible. So I created a spreadsheet in Google Apps and posted a link to it on our website. That way anyone can click on the link and see the most current information instantly.

(If you are not familiar with Google Apps, they are based in the cloud, which means they can be shared and any changes are visible instantly.)

Here is a link to our club's financial report spreadsheet. At our monthly meeting we use a projector and show this spreadsheet and the treasurer goes over the income and expenses for the previous month, and presents a running total for the year.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fINKy8TfSGdDwLyKi0pAmOoZq_uTou35yPjKqYeqN24/edit?usp=sharing

Note that the current tab for 2017 only shows Jan as the treasurer hasn't updated Feb yet. For a better view of how it works click down at the bottom on the 2016 tab and you will see a complete picture for the year. Hover over the little black triangles for notes about certain entries.

This could be duplicated in a few minutes for the MTA and would take someone an hour or so to fill in the information. I would propose to put a link to the spreadsheet in the forums and on the website for everyone to see anytime.

It doesn't have to be complicated.

Update: I just created a spreadsheet for the MTA. Now if Steve or someone could update it we could make it public.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

I would be happy to answer any questions about how it works or how we use it.
I ride because it frees my mind from the tyranny of petty things.

harvey
MTA_Member_No: 06169

Re: Example Financial Report

Postby harvey » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:56 pm

Jerry that is an excellent form to report finances. I just hope it will work for the treasurer!
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

lvldcook
MTA_Member_No: 13134

Postby lvldcook » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:11 pm

I use Quickbooks to generate reports automatically as the information is already there and I don't have to recreate a new document or update a 2nd document every time a report is needed. I do not wish to start a new reporting system this late in the clubs lifecycle as I don't think the club will be around much longer in its current form and also I don't have time to do it and learn about and deal with all the unintended consequences. If someone else like Harvey wants to take over this responsibility and create these spreadsheets and keep them current, that would be fine with me. Just because Jerry thinks it would "take an hour" doesn't mean that's true. We don't meet monthly, we don't have a local group, we don't share in meetings. Also, membership data is not mentioned by Jerry though it is fully integrated into the current Quickbooks database. Separating out membership stuff, including all membership financial data, would not be trivial.

This morning I updated all the member data and exported to a spreadsheet which I have posted to Google sheets for any MTA member to use for mailings, emails, etc., for the upcoming rally. Let me know what else is needed. Here is the link:
https://docs.google.com/a/mtariders.com ... sp=sharing
(I'm also mentioning this spreadsheet availability in the previous thread).
MTA Bookkeeper
Loveland, CO

vtsjoe
MTA_Member_No: 01000

Postby vtsjoe » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:10 pm

I think I would have to agree with Steve here about changing financial platforms at this time if not for any other reason but the future of the club. I do strongly feel that the matter should be brought up at the next General Membership Meeting in KF. If the future of the club is brought up as an issue, I urge the BOD not to take any action until a vote of the entire active membership can be taken. I realize this means sending proxy votes to all but I believe the entire paying membership should be informed and counted.

Return to “Rider's Cafe”