Will it happen 2017 in Klamath Falls

News and updates about the annual Gathering.
lvldcook
MTA_Member_No: 13134

Re: Will it happen 2017 in Klamath Falls

Postby lvldcook » Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:22 am

to vtsjoe and harvey:
Re: "As for paying Steve Cook, I think that is a gross injustice and waste of money since there are those who can do the job for free."

One of you is sure welcome to take over this job from me. I wanted to bow out as Treasurer after the 2015 Gathering at Dillard, GA since I had put in my three year stint as a volunteer after taking over from Phil Andreeasen, but agreed to keep putting in the hours each month to run the office, handle membership renewals, maintain the books, and handle the annual tax return requirements (you do know about all those things, right?). The club is run on Quickbooks, so whoever takes over night need to be able to manage that accounting software. To justify my time as an accountant, and since I'm not a member anymore of MTA, I itemized the hours I put in annually and charged a minimum wage per hour amount to continue doing the MTA office/financial duties. I'm certainly not going to continue doing this for free.

If either one of you has a better solution how to continue keeping the club running other than wanting other people than yourself to shoulder the load for free, please tell the BOD and quit your complaining.
MTA Bookkeeper
Loveland, CO

harvey
MTA_Member_No: 06169

Postby harvey » Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:58 pm

Steve, I cannot speak for Joe, who was instrumental in creating this group, but I have been a member since about 1989, back when we still had VDAzes--my first was in Taos, NM. I have served on the Board for a number of years and was on it when you became Treasurer at the request of Randy. I have been involved in the planning and execution of a number of Gatherings.

I have served on many other Boards and so forth over the years and have learned what to expect from a Bookkeeper/Treasurer. And I tend to call it like I see it and when an officer is not getting the job done, I am not ashamed or afraid to say so. Then when we pay that position, I expect a much improved level of performance.

You probably should have quit after Dilliard if you are so unhappy and obviously desire to be uninvolved to the point of ending your membership!

And just so you know if you had read and kept up on this website, I did volunteer for the job prior to Dilliard!

And I have repeatedly volunteered to help the present Board in any way or manner I can.
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

vtsjoe
MTA_Member_No: 01000

Postby vtsjoe » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:43 am

I fully concur with Harvey. Also, I was not aware that Steve Cook was not a member of the MTA. That seems to amplify the injustice. As for the financial record keeping and other matters pertaining to this club, it isn't Rocket Science. An understanding of profit and loss management along with IRS rules and regulations is all that is needed. For almost 20 years before this club was transferred to Texas, the financial records were kept by simple bookeeping procedures. Everything was departmentalized. Revenue and Expenses. What is difficult about this? Revenue comes from new and renewing members (which I think has been near nothing over the past couple of years), as well as the annual Rally or Gathering plus the MTA Store. Because of the way the MTA function today, the only expenses should be cost of doing business, such as phone, postage, printing, etc., which I don't see a lot of action there either. Oh, almost forgot you would now have to include salaries. I do not know why the club lost its 501 status or why financial matters became so difficult that they couldn't be done using simple math and record keeping. Quick Books may be just great for some institutions but I feel it is an overkill procedure for this club. I have to also agree with Harvey and others regarding your level of responsibility when members were requesting financial reports. It was a practice of the VTA/MTA under my watch and some who followed to present any financial document upon request from any member. That should have not changed.

Return to “The Gathering”