Will it happen 2017 in Klamath Falls

News and updates about the annual Gathering.
lvldcook
MTA_Member_No: 13134

Re: Will it happen 2017 in Klamath Falls

Postby lvldcook » Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:22 am

to vtsjoe and harvey:
Re: "As for paying Steve Cook, I think that is a gross injustice and waste of money since there are those who can do the job for free."

One of you is sure welcome to take over this job from me. I wanted to bow out as Treasurer after the 2015 Gathering at Dillard, GA since I had put in my three year stint as a volunteer after taking over from Phil Andreeasen, but agreed to keep putting in the hours each month to run the office, handle membership renewals, maintain the books, and handle the annual tax return requirements (you do know about all those things, right?). The club is run on Quickbooks, so whoever takes over night need to be able to manage that accounting software. To justify my time as an accountant, and since I'm not a member anymore of MTA, I itemized the hours I put in annually and charged a minimum wage per hour amount to continue doing the MTA office/financial duties. I'm certainly not going to continue doing this for free.

If either one of you has a better solution how to continue keeping the club running other than wanting other people than yourself to shoulder the load for free, please tell the BOD and quit your complaining.
MTA Bookkeeper
Loveland, CO

harvey
MTA_Member_No: 06169

Postby harvey » Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:58 pm

Steve, I cannot speak for Joe, who was instrumental in creating this group, but I have been a member since about 1989, back when we still had VDAzes--my first was in Taos, NM. I have served on the Board for a number of years and was on it when you became Treasurer at the request of Randy. I have been involved in the planning and execution of a number of Gatherings.

I have served on many other Boards and so forth over the years and have learned what to expect from a Bookkeeper/Treasurer. And I tend to call it like I see it and when an officer is not getting the job done, I am not ashamed or afraid to say so. Then when we pay that position, I expect a much improved level of performance.

You probably should have quit after Dilliard if you are so unhappy and obviously desire to be uninvolved to the point of ending your membership!

And just so you know if you had read and kept up on this website, I did volunteer for the job prior to Dilliard!

And I have repeatedly volunteered to help the present Board in any way or manner I can.
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

vtsjoe
MTA_Member_No: 01000

Postby vtsjoe » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:43 am

I fully concur with Harvey. Also, I was not aware that Steve Cook was not a member of the MTA. That seems to amplify the injustice. As for the financial record keeping and other matters pertaining to this club, it isn't Rocket Science. An understanding of profit and loss management along with IRS rules and regulations is all that is needed. For almost 20 years before this club was transferred to Texas, the financial records were kept by simple bookeeping procedures. Everything was departmentalized. Revenue and Expenses. What is difficult about this? Revenue comes from new and renewing members (which I think has been near nothing over the past couple of years), as well as the annual Rally or Gathering plus the MTA Store. Because of the way the MTA function today, the only expenses should be cost of doing business, such as phone, postage, printing, etc., which I don't see a lot of action there either. Oh, almost forgot you would now have to include salaries. I do not know why the club lost its 501 status or why financial matters became so difficult that they couldn't be done using simple math and record keeping. Quick Books may be just great for some institutions but I feel it is an overkill procedure for this club. I have to also agree with Harvey and others regarding your level of responsibility when members were requesting financial reports. It was a practice of the VTA/MTA under my watch and some who followed to present any financial document upon request from any member. That should have not changed.

bikenut
MTA_Member_No: 04243

Postby bikenut » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:17 pm

If I had a employee that the club is paying to do a job and NOT doing it and talking like this
(If either one of you has a better solution how to continue keeping the club running other than wanting other people than yourself to shoulder the load for free, please tell the BOD and quit your complaining.)to members when he is not a member I would be pushing to get that person fired. No treasury reports for two + years and getting payed for doing the books looks like a scam job to me .
Very sad to see all the clubs money going down the drain after all the members years back built it back up to keep the club going and now it is going right down the drain and getting nothing for it

lvldcook

Postby lvldcook » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:05 pm

I have submitted annual financial reports every year. I don't know what the BOD is doing with them.

Whoever is ready to take over the books from me is more than welcome. I'm only doing the books (plus doing membership records, sending renewals and making badges, filing annual taxes, etc.) to help keep the club going after doing the job for three years for free. I'm asking someone to actually volunteer to take over all this and not just bellyache in this forum. I'll ship everything to the next volunteer.

BTW: Phil Andreassen did a great job cleaning up the Excel spreadsheet mess that was passed onto him when he took over as treasurer. I've maintained his system that uses QuickBooks since I'm very familiar with Quickbooks.
MTA Bookkeeper
Loveland, CO

vtsjoe

Postby vtsjoe » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:00 pm

Steve; as the official Bookkeeper, do you have some rule or restriction placed on you as to posting these financial reports you have submitted on this website? It seems that the BOD either hasn't the ability or the desire to fulfill that obligation. I hope Harvey steps up and takes the job. I truthfully don't believe it would be a long term job. The MTA seems to be treading water. With no influx of new members and the obvious rank and file moving on, it seems only logical to end it. Again, I point out that the plans for the Oregon Gathering seem to be still in the minds of the BOD.

Bikenut; it seems that this forum is the only place belly aching can be done but still ignored by the BOD. As Steve has posted, the financial reports have been maintained and sent to the BOD. Why they choose not to disclose the information and post it is a mystery.

A final note. The demise of the VTS/MTA as a Venture Club was no doubt primarily due to the discontinuance of the Venture itself but I (and the late Ron D'Alessio and Stan Okrasinski) often felt that the creation of a BOD also contributed to internal conflicts and problems. In the beginning, both Ron and I met with GWRRA founder Paul Hildebrand and he warned us against creating a BOD saying it wasn't a good idea. We didn't listen. Nevertheless, membership clubs need a strong chapter base. Like a pyramid, the chapter base supports the National at the top. Remove the chapter core and support and you have no National.

lvldcook

Postby lvldcook » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:06 am

vstjoe - Thanks for your nice posting.
I don't know of any rule or restriction about me posting the financial report to the web, except that I don't really know how to do that. I submit a financial report to the BOD so they know the financial status of the club going forward so they can make good financial decisions, primarily about how much to budget for the next Gathering. I leave posting to the web up to the BOD and/or webmaster.
We have enough funds left for about one more good national Gathering in Klamath Falls IMHO, especially with regard to the large cash prizes that have been recently rewarded at Dillard and Winnipeg.
Our local club here in Colorado is pretty much gone which is why I quit being a regular member, not because I was disappointed in the club.
MTA Bookkeeper
Loveland, CO

harvey
MTA_Member_No: 06169

Postby harvey » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:33 pm

vtsjoe,

You stated "A final note. The demise of the VTS/MTA as a Venture Club was no doubt primarily due to the discontinuance of the Venture itself but I (and the late Ron D'Alessio and Stan Okrasinski) often felt that the creation of a BOD also contributed to internal conflicts and problems. In the beginning, both Ron and I met with GWRRA founder Paul Hildebrand and he warned us against creating a BOD saying it wasn't a good idea. We didn't listen. Nevertheless, membership clubs need a strong chapter base. Like a pyramid, the chapter base supports the National at the top. Remove the chapter core and support and you have no National."

Many former members as well as members of GWRRA are very unhappy with the rule from the top down approach of that organization. They have had two groups at least formed from their prior membership and their membership is falling. A large part of the problem is probably the fact that a lot of the core members are aging out of motorcycles just as we are experiencing. Plus the market for buyers of $30,000+ motorcycles/toys is also shrinking so the manufacturers are cutting back. Yamaha has dropped the RSV, and many believe Honda is getting ready to drop the Wing.

With the ease of the internet, facebook, email and so forth local folks are making contact individually and there is less need for organizations like MTA, GWRRA and so forth. They still ride as groups but don't have the meetings, organization, fees, and so forth. They get together and ride and share a meal.
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

vtsjoe

Postby vtsjoe » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:51 pm

True, Marquee clubs are becoming smaller because of the age factor and price of MC. Some still are going strong including the GWRRA, GWTA, STAR, BMWOA and HOG. There are also regional clubs that boast 1,000 members or more. There are more motorcyclists switching to not only the traditional trikes but to machines like the Polaris Slingshot which already has a National following with thousands attending its rallies in Florida and elsewhere. Having or not having a BOD for the VTS probably wouldn't have made all that much of a difference except for making my tenure (as well as others) a bit more easier. The doom for us was with Yamaha. Then there are the M/C riders who purchase and ride just for the joy of it, get together with others in their locale for food or coffee and maybe make an annual trek to events like Americade, Sturgis, Daytona and Riudoso which all still draw thousands.

NOTE to STEVE COOK. Regarding your posting of the financials on this site, I believe a simple breakdown of Revenue, Expenses, Costs, etc. with a running bank account ledger entries for the past 2-3 years would be sufficient. You could start from the last time one was posted.

lvldcook

Postby lvldcook » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:34 pm

I joined the MTA club at the same time I stepped in as a treasurer replacement for Phil, so I don't have all the history and names that you fellows have. I agree with your assessments of why the club wound down though.

I'll post a financial update as soon as I get the accounting end of year year ledger entries backent from our tax return CPA and entered into Quickbooks.
MTA Bookkeeper
Loveland, CO

Return to “The Gathering”